THE SEVEN SORROWS OF OUR LADY
Whoever thinks about the Passion of Christ must also think about His mother. The mother of God gave to St Bridget the revelation that whoever prays seven Hail Marys daily while meditating upon her tears and sorrows and then spreads this devotion will receive great graces.
The 1st Sorrow
Simeon blessed them and said to His mother Mary, 'This Child is destined for the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed - and a sword will pierce your own soul too.
The 2nd Sorrow
The Flight Into Egypt
An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Get up, take the Child and His mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the Child, to destroy Him.' Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, and remained there until the death of Herod.
The 3rd Sorrow
Losing the Child Jesus
They sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances; and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"
The 4th Sorrow
Meeting Jesus on the Way to Calvary
So they took Jesus; and carrying the cross by Himself, He went out to what is called the place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.
The 5th Sorrow
Mary witnesses the Crucifixion
Standing near the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom He loved standing beside her, He said to His mother, 'Woman, here is your son.' Then He said to the disciple, 'Here is your mother.'
The 6th Sorrow
Jesus is returned to His Mother
Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him leave. So he came and took away his body. Nicodemus also, who had at first come to him by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds' weight.
The 7th Sorrow
The Burial of Jesus
They took the body of Jesus, and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb where no one had ever been laid. So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was close at hand, they laid Jesus there.
The Seven Graces:
- I will grant peace to their families
- They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death - they will see the face of their Mother
- I have obtained this grace from my Divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and Sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.